Monday, March 21, 2011

Sacred Things, Sacramentals, The Use of Holy Water


     We have the Seven Sacraments in The Church, but there are also "little" Sacraments, which are called: Sacramentals.  We receive many graces from them.  Holy Water is the most popular of these sacramentals.  There is a little prayer that can be said, which I think is very effective: "Dear Lord, by this Holy Water and Thy Precious Blood wash away my venial sins."

     As Catholics, before we enter the church for Mass, we dip our fingers in the holy water font and make the sign of the Cross.  Holy Water is used  in our sacred liturgies, baptisms, etc.  After Easter, we are sprinkled by the priest before Mass.  Also, in storms and certain temptations from the Devil, we are encouraged to take holy water.  It is a good idea to have holy water in our homes.  We can easily get it from the baptismal font, or holy water container in the church.  It is a metal tub with a spigot, usually, and has a cup underneath.  It is  good idea to ask a priest if the holy water in the baptismal font is Blessed.

    Holy water can be used in sickness and certain fears that one has.  I always take a sip of holy water, before I take a new perscription drug.  I ask Our Lord to take away bad side effects from the medicine.  Before I go on a trip, I sprinkle the car with holy water.

No comments:

Post a Comment